Translate

Monday, March 17, 2008




Number 275


Don't shake the family tree



This short-short story from Atlas Comics' Uncanny Tales #7, published in 1953, is by Larry Woromay, an artist who went from comics into fine art. He died last year. These are a couple of paintings from his web site:




The story, "The Witch of Landor," is scanned from a reprint in Marvel Comics' Chamber of Chills #15, from 1975. Karswell ran a story here, done in an imitation Jack Davis style, which one of the comments identified as being by Woromay. Could be. I haven't seen enough of Woromay's work to know, but it's a great Jack Davis rip-off, whoever did it.

Based on "Witch of Landor," which is full of moody panels and artwork, I'd like to see more by Woromay in his own style.

"Landor" teaches one thing, and that is be careful when shaking your family tree. You just never know what will fall out of the branches.






*******

HAPPY ST PAT'S DAY!

Here's my contribution to this day, a Lucky Charms ad from 1964, scanned from Sad Sack #157, from 1964. Baby Boomers will remember the Leprechaun and Lucky Charms commercials from television in the early 1960s. The artwork is by Bill Williams. I have a story written by John Stanley and drawn by Bill Williams coming up very soon.

In the meantime, hoist a green ale for Pappy.





3 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Although gin & tonic is my preferred aperitif, consider one green ale hoisted on your behalf, Pappy

Mr. Karswell said...

Top'a the mornin' to you Paps, and thanks for the great horror post today! I'd love to see more Woromay stories too, maybe I'll dig around the long box this week and see if I have anything else as well.

Hmmm? Now I'm hungry for some orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers and haggis...

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Coincidentally, I just ran across three of these from 1966 sunday comics which I put on my scan pile...