Translate

Wednesday, July 23, 2008


Number 347


The Devil Dancers



Remember a few years ago people were talking about the lambada, the so-called "forbidden dance"? They made a couple of cheesy movies out of the "forbidden dance." Well, this story has nothing to do with the lambada, it's just me trying to sound like I know something about something, and being generally irrelevant. But "Spell of the Devil Dancers" is about a dancer and some dancing. Carma Gartland gives her all, and I do mean all, for her art. The story is from Web Of Mystery #13.









4 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Wow, I guess that they were serious when they said she couldn't ever get away from Siva.

Not exactly "Dancing with the Stars" though!

Mr. Karswell said...

Really love that middle panel on page three, the blue overlay on her body and yellow highlight, fantastic. Other evil dancing:

The Macarana

Country Line Dancing

The Funky Chicken

Kirk Nachman said...

beautiful pulp, (with evident use of pin-up researches!)...

Mr. Cavin said...

"You old dead things! I'll fight you as long as I can!"

I loved this one. I always love the "Dangerous Dances" subgenre (like all those voodoo club stories), but this is the first one I've seen take place it he Orient rather than the American continents (or Hispaniola of course). But it makes sense. Siva really is doing the dance of destruction on that dwarf (or snake head) att he feet of all those statues. Calling the main character Karma (with a C) is going a little overboard, and I am pretty certain it's, like, double sacrilege to have Kali serve as Siva's worshiper. But there's never any end to the warp of Orientalist misuse, god bless their little xenophobic nineteen-fifties hearts.

Oh, and this:

"...it's just me trying to sound like I know something about something, and being generally irrelevant.

in conjunction with the above, actually made me laugh and slap my knee right out in public here. How embarrassing is that?