Translate

Monday, September 21, 2009



Number 597


"I Fell For A Commie!"


You won't find many love comics in the Pappy collection, not because I hate love--on the contrary--but because the girls in many of the stories are so outrageously naïve. See how far into the story we get before Gladys realizes she's fallen in with a bunch of Reds.

This classic of a girl finding love in the midst of the Communist cell is from Quality Comics' Love Secrets #32, August 1953. Sorry, comrades, I don't know the artist.














8 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Where's the love Pappy? There is such great artwork on this feature, that "commie-conscious" or not, I can't help but love it.

Too, too many of the romance comics from the early years were of high quality, that it's a shame that more of them aren't reprinted.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

hoooooooboy!...

Pappy said...

I have another love comic coming up in a few weeks, drawn by Bill Ward. I've got it scanned and ready to go, just need to schedule it. Patience, boys...love is worth waiting for.

Kirk Nachman said...

The internationale preserves the human race!!! Sing with me, imperialist pigs, dupes of the bourgeois industrialists!

Unknown said...

So romantic!

Actually reminds me of board meetings at the station.

Unknown said...

Did this one have the Joseph McCarthy seal of approval?
Very well drawn. But total propaganda.

Mr. Cavin said...

I think the art in romance comics is the very best there is, frankly. But see here: as cleverly and carefully lined as this story mostly is, what's up with that wall map in the last panel of page nine? Is that supposed to be the USA? It looks like a pelt.

Madd said...

I love this style of art. Oddly enough, there were several Mexican comics available here in the U.S. that kept that same style until well in to the 1990s. Some where even in black and white or sepia tones.