Translate

Sunday, October 03, 2010


Number 818


More of Bill Holman's inspired insanity


October already! The year just speeds by, doesn't it? Here we are in the tenth month and I still haven't done any of my New Year's resolutions! Oops, that's not true...a New Year's rez was to get back to the Bay Area and visit my buddy Dave Miller, he of Brit Rock By The Bay and David's Rock Scrapbook. It's been a few years since I visited one of my oldest friends, since we met 30 years ago this year. Mrs. Pappy and I are here now in California staying with Dave and his wife, Karen.

Like me, Dave is a big fan of Bill Holman's Smokey Stover. So these pages, from Dell Four Color #229, 1949, Smokey reprints from the mid-forties, are dedicated to Dave.

I did another posting of Smokey Stover pages in Pappy's #733.































4 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: As a kid, I always wanted to live in Smokey's universe, with all its gadgets and contraptions, in the same way I wanted to live in Dr. Suess' world. The window drape holder that is a hand clasping the curtain in a fist. God, I love that. Or the "tight suit" that hiccups. Enjoy your stay with Dave and Karen.

Pappy said...

Mykal...you must've been a strange kid! I loved Seuss and I loved Smokey, but when I was a kid I wanted to pilot a rocketship or be Superboy. Never realized either of those goals.

I agree with you on Smokey Stover and the visual puns. No one did them like Holman.

Dave and Karen are great hosts; we went to the Alameda Antiques Fair today and I picked up over 40 comics for $1.00 apiece from a dealer "trying to get out of the comic book selling business." I got some good ones, too; some will be showing up here eventually.

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: Oh, yeah. Pappy with bucks in his pocket and a guy "trying to get out of the comic book selling business." We're talking a hawk spotting a field mouse.

Pappy said...

Mykal, I would describe it more as how Herbie feels when scoring a hard to find cinnamon lollipop.