Translate

Friday, September 14, 2012

Number 1227: “I was a prisoner of Captain Kidd!”

September 19th is “Talk Like a Pirate Day” and I will have a pirate story for you that day. I also have a pirate story for you today. I guess pirates are on my mind this week.

Bill Ely did the excellent art on this story from DC's My Greatest Adventure #11 (1956). I've featured Ely before, and I'll give you a link after reminding you that Ely was a very early comic book pioneer, and drew all through the Golden Age of comics. He then drew for DC for several years, into the 1960s. He is one of those journeymen who do not get the recognition they deserve from fans. Look at this story, his drawing, the detail, the panel composition. It all points to him being one of the top illustrative artists in the comics. And yet under-appreciated by comics fans. I'd like to help change that.

There's more DC work by Ely in Pappy's #772.









No comments: