Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Number 1230: Gonna yo-ho-ho once mo’

It's Talk Like a Pirate Day, and usually I post a tale of the Jolly Roger on this date. I missed it last year, but made up for it in other ways. So far this year I've posted at least a couple of stories of the boundin' main.

But I reserved today for the Hawk, a series from Jumbo Comics, which has a bounty of piratical patois in the speech: “Cast an eye at th’ bilge rat kickin' yonder! Fair winds fer yer last voyage, Captain Hawk!” “Ye devils! If ye've killed ‘im I’ll...’ “Cap'n Claw...Cap'n Claw! Avast! Lashed on to me sword th’ wench ‘as!’ And that's just the dialogue in one panel. The whole story is like that.

That's a Fiction House comic book, though, mateys. That and a comely wench, this'n in short-shorts (Arrrrrrrrh!) and of course the saucy lass be tied up. I knew that splash panel’d have ye clutchin’ ’ard at yer belayin' pin, eh, me bucko? Kinky, yarr.

(All right, and that will be all the pirate talk I'll be talking today.)

Enjoy this saltwater saga, drawn by Robert Webb, from Jumbo Comics #102 (1947):









2 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

"ye clutchin’ ’ard at yer belayin' pin"? Pappy's putting the dirty in dirty old man :)

That was a *hard* read. I actually didn't know what was going on in places because the text was so heavy into cliche pirate talk.

BTW, what universe does this "comely wench" come from, where she both has separation and lift? I know I'm supposed to sit back and enjoy but my analytic nature doesn't allow me to see both cleavage and breasts at 60 degree angles from each other! Pick one, artist!

Pappy said...

Brian, I don't know for sure, but maybe Howard Hughes designed her bra.