Translate

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Number 1309: Taking Hitler to hell

I don't think I can adequately describe this incredible, crazy tale from the obscure Great Comics #3 (1942). The best I can do is say it's beautifully illustrated, but it’s like a fever-dream. An invisible man from the future, Futuro, guides his fellow invisibles to Bavaria to kidnap Hitler, then take him to “Hades.”

“I can eat toads and Japs, but...UGH!! Not that rotten dictator!” proclaims a winged demon. Everyone involved with this story certainly made their feelings about Hitler known. The artist is unidentified.

















6 comments:

Keir said...

Interesting how Mussolini 'says' "Tokio".
But what's with Hitler's zany sartorial sense here? Green and yellow uniforms bedecked in garish medals and a cap I wouldn't expect a pilot flying Ryanair to wear!

Pappy said...

Keir, "Tokio" was a spelling much used during World War II. We've mad a lot of changes of spelling from transliteration of sounds from other languages. Mao Tse Tung to Mao Zedong, for instance.

And my guess is the colorist got a new set of colors for his birthday or Christmas.

Stefan Poag said...

Inspired. I wish I knew who drew it.

Keir said...

Well, now that you mention it I still refer to Peking, and I lived there for 8 years

M. Bouffant said...

I wonder if these Futurians & the ones in the story are somehow connected.

Arben said...

That was insane!